I’ve been hot on the Nutella trail for a while now.
Like, since high school. Like, since Bjork (my highschoolboyfriendnowhusband) casually mentioned this super good chocolate spread that he put on toast, and what, I hadn’t heard of it? And then one fateful day I went to his house and watched him spread that creamy chocolate love on toasted bread. Can you say love at first sight? He held the keys to my heart right then and there.
In more recent memory…Nutella has entered my life in other ways. For example, by the heaping spoonful. In my oatmeal. With fruit. On pancakes. And as of last week, in my all-time favorite dessert bars: scotcheroos. So what was once a golden-peanut-butter-butterscotchy delicacy is now also… super-chocolatey. And hazelnutty. But really, does anyone taste the hazelnuts in there? I can’t distinguish tastes like that when I’m in chocolate euphoria.
These chocolate scotcheroos are just like the original – but made better with the use of nutella! An easy, crowd-pleasing snack.
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- chocolate chips and butterscotch chips
- Lightly grease a 9×13 pan with butter or oil.
- In a large pot, heat corn syrup and sugar until dissolved – don’t boil or else your bars will be rock hard! When the sugar is dissolved, melt in the peanut butter and nutella. When melted, stir in the cereal. Stir until mixed and press into pan.
- Melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips (I usually use half a bag of each) in a double boiler, or over low heat. When smooth, spread over the tops of the bars and cool until frosting has set.
PS. Is it New-tella or Nuh-tella?
Pass me a spoon so I can eat some while you think about it.